the sultanate of brunei is squeezed in between two malaysian states: sabah and sarawak. the small and rich country is a gateway to north borneo and getting around the country is easy.
assuming one is coming from
• manila – there is only one flight with cebu pacific and it arrives/leaves at an odd hour
• kota kinabalu – takes four-five hours*
• miri – takes three-four hours*
• day – ulu temburong national park**. take water taxi going to bangar***. an intrepid tour representative will welcome.
• night – wander the riverside
• day – peradayan forest reserve. take water taxi to bangar***. a private taxi to the forest reserve costs 30 brunei dollars for one way.
• night – water village tour at night has its own charm
• day – city tour (palace’s museums on arabic arts, sciences and history is worth a visit). have a d-i-y on water village (wander around), mangrove and river tours.
• afternoon – jame’asr hassanil bolkiah mosque. take bus number one from the main bus terminal station.
• if sharing with someone, brunei hotel**** is recommended: city centre, comfortable, friendly staff, good buffet breakfast
• pusat belia youth hostel is a cheap and good backbacker’s place if traveller is on tight budget
* there are only day bus trips to and fro brunei from malaysian borneo.
** contact allan at email@example.com for more information.
*** note that last water taxi heads back to bandar seri begawan at 16:30h. be at the water taxi station at least an hour before departure.
**** booking accommodation via intrepid tours can be cheaper than going directly to the hotel as they can get a discount for the traveller.